GMP Responding to Thunderstorm Outages
02 July 2014
COLCHESTER, VT -- Green Mountain Power is responding quickly to outages caused by thunderstorms and strong winds across Vermont. The company encourages the public to stay safe and to report outages and any down lines they encounter.
“This summer storm could cause significant outages by bringing down tree limbs onto powerlines,” said Dorothy Schnure, Green Mountain Power spokesperson. “We are deploying crews to respond to outages, and even more are ready to go to keep the public safe and make sure the lights get back on as soon as possible.”
In addition to responding to outages, GMP is positioning workers in areas expected to be hit hardest. GMP also has contract line workers and tree trimmers available if needed to assist GMP crews in restoring power quickly.
“For the latest information, we will post updates through Facebook, Twitter and media announcements,” said Schnure.
Customers may now sign up for text service to report outages and get updates. Simply text REG to 46788 or GMPVT, or sign up online at greenmountainpower.com/textalerts. Customer account number is necessary for the initial sign up. As always, customers may report outages by calling 1-888-835-4672, or visiting GMP’s Outage Center page at www.greenmountainpower.com.
GMP also offers the following safety advice for the public when experiencing high winds and thunderstorms:
* Treat any downed line as if it is live and stay at least 50 feet away from the line, and keep children and pets away.
* Contact GMP at 1-888-835-4672 to report downed lines and your local first responders if the lines are blocking roadways.
* For more information regarding outages and storm response, visit www.greenmountainpower.com.
* Make sure your mobile phones are fully charged.
* If power goes out, turn off all electrical appliances and when it returns turn equipment back on carefully.
* If you rely on well water, you may want to fill a bathtub with water before you lose service so the water can be used to flush toilets, etc.
About Green Mountain Power
Green Mountain Power (www.greenmountainpower.com) generates, transmits, distributes and sells electricity in the state of Vermont. The company, which was named 2014 Solar Champion by Vote Solar, serves more than 250,000 customers and has set its vision to be the best small company in America.